Max Kuehne, American (1880-1960).
Max Kuehne immigrated to the US from Germany in 1894 settling in Flushing, NY. He studied at
the William Merritt Chase School with Chase and Robert Henri. After studying in New York, Max
Kuehne traveled throughout Europe, supporting himself by painting portraits. Returning to the US,
he settled again in New York City and became friends with Edward Hopper, William Glackens, and
Charles Prendergast. During the depression, Kuehne helped support himself by making furniture,
decorative screens, and sculptures.
Max Kuehne was primarily a landscape painter and he spent many summers painting in Rockport and
Gloucester, MA. His exhibitions included the Corcoran Gallery, Wash. D.C., The Art Institute of Chicago,
the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and the Society of Independent Artists. Kuehne's paintings
are included in the collections of the New York Public Library, the Barnes Foundation, the Museum of
Modern Art, NY, The Whitney Museum, NY, The LA County Museum of Art, and the Library of Congress.
Signed lower center.
Oil on canvasboard. 16" x 20"
To purchase this painting, you may by email, or call the gallery directly.